How do I plan a last minute move?
We understand that there will be situations when a house move is urgent, last minute, and on short notice.
How much notice do removal companies need?
Typically, a professional removal company will require 3-5 days' notice in advance; however, giving a removal company at least five days of notice in advance will get you the best prices.
Suppose you require specific services such as packing materials and no site surveys. In that case, you should give a removal company at least three weeks of notice.
However, that is not to say you won’t be able to find short notice moves. It is possible to find short notice moves on VanHelper however, be prepared to pay a premium above average market rates.
What do I need to do for a last-minute move?
Begin packing immediately
- Pack the most important possessions first, passport, important documents, and expensive items; this is the essential bag you should always keep with you during the move.
- Pack clothes and items you will most likely wear; one of the most common mistakes movers that want to get out in a hurry makes is to pick and choose the best clothes from their wardrobe. A quick tip for getting out in a hurry is to get the clothes from your laundry basket and put them in a bag to pack in a hurry because these clothes are the ones you will most likely wear and still fit. You can put them into the laundry when you arrive at your new home.
- Pack the medicines that you will need; this includes any prescriptions you currently have or life-saving medication such as epi-pens.
- Get rid of items you don’t need; clothes you have not worn for a while, for example, can be left behind when you are moving in a hurry.
- Use socks and towels to wrap breakables; this is one of the safest ways to pack your fragile items with essentials.
- Get boxes from supermarkets or nearby stores if you don’t have any; if you don’t have any boxes for removal and you are not able to buy any, you can always go to a nearby supermarket and ask for discarded boxes to help with your removals.
- Stop overthinking; Pack now and sort later. When time is of the essence, you need to stop overthinking and start packing to move out of the property.
Book a removal company as soon as possible
- Use VanHelper to get a quote as soon as possible. We recommend you use VanHelper and other websites online to ask for a last-minute quote. Call at least three companies locally to see if they can take the last-minute booking.
- If you are moving light with just some luggage, don’t hesitate to get a mini-cab or similar services. You may not necessarily require a full-blown removal service or even a man & van. Get a mini-cab or similar service if you only have 2-3 pieces of luggage to move.
- Be prepared to pay a premium over normal prices for short notice bookings, as is true with any other services; when you are in a hurry, be prepared to pay a premium for the service, this is especially true for removals services.
Ask for help
- Don’t hesitate to ask for help from your friends or family if they are available. Even if it is a last-minute move, you should reach out to your friends and family for assistance.
Change of address and utilities
- Change the address for your driving license; you can now do this online or at a local post office. You don’t necessarily need to do this before your move and can change the address when you have settled down.
- Change the address for your Gas, Electricity, Water, Internet provider, and Cable subscription; contact them and tell them the date you intend to move out. Typically the utility company requires a 30-day notice period for a change of address. However, you can ask them to transfer to your new home’s address and avoid contract exit fees if the utility company also servers your new home.
Be prepared to pay a premium when planning a last-minute move; save time searching for the right company. Just use VanHelper and start packing whilst you wait for the removal companies to call you with the best value quote.