The ultimate checklist for moving a home
Did you know that pilots and doctors use checklists to run down important things so they can do their jobs efficiently and effectively? Customers who wish to move their homes should have a checklist to help. We at VanHelper present the ultimate list for moving a home that you can print out and help organise your house move.
- Confirm the date that you will leave the current property.
- Confirm when you can move into the new property.
- Confirm your place in the chain if you are going through an in chain property purchase and selling process.
- Consider whether you will get quotes from a removal service through VanHelper.
- Consider whether you want the packing service provided by the removal company.
Get quotes for your home removals
- Use VanHelper to get quotes from local removal companies delivered directly to you.
- Get a Pre-move survey done.
- Agree on the move date with the removal company.
- Agree on price and services with the removal company.
- Book the days you need to take off work for the house move.
- If renting, give notice to your landlord.
- Contact your family and friends and let them know you are planning to move.
- If you have children in a local school, contact the school and let them know you are planning to move.
- Set up a temporary postal redirection service with the post office (If you would like to redirect your mail from the old address to the new address for a short period).
- Get your phone lines redirected to your mobile temporarily.
Utilities and bills
- Contact your bank and credit card company and let them know you are moving to a new property.
- Contact your Electric company to settle the bills or transfer them to your new home.
- Contact your Gas company to settle the bills or transfer them to your new home.
- Contact your Water company to settle the bills or transfer them to your new home.
- Contact your Telephone company to settle the bills or transfer them to your new home.
- Contact your Internet Service Provider company to settle the bills or transfer them to your new home.
- Contact your Mobile company and change your address.
- Contact your local council to let them know you are moving, and ask for a statement of your council tax.
- Contact the DVLA to change your address for your driving license.
- Contact your car and house insurance provider about your change of address.
- Contact your pension provider to change your address.
- Let your employer know you plan to move and the date you will start using your new address.
- Update your TV License address.
- Update the address you are using for Online shopping services such as Amazon or Supermarkets, so you can avoid delivering items to your old address accidentally.
Clean and de-clutter
- Clean out old items such as old clothes, electronics, furniture, and paper documents to reduce the number of things you will be moving. You can either dispose of, donate or recycles these items where applicable.
Packing and labels
- Get boxes to pack your items if you have chosen to pack the items yourself.
- Label your boxes so you know what room the boxes should be in.
- Secure your important valuables and personal documents.
- Pack your items into the boxes.
- Make a list of the electrical appliances you wish to move and mark them for the removal company to identify as an item they need to move.
One week before moving day
- Start reducing the amount of food in the fridge and freezer.
- Organise who will care for children or pets during the move.
- Arrange for parking at the pickup and drop off location.
Two days before the moving day
- Unplug your fridge and freezer, and defrost your freezer.
- Unplug and disconnect your washing machine and dishwasher.
- Label keys for the new owner of the property.
- Do a final rundown on things you will be moving.
- Get a final reading of your Electric meter and take a photo of the reading.
- Get a final reading of your Gas meter and take photos of the reading.
- Get a final reading of your Water meter and take a photo of the reading.
- Lay down sheets to protect the floors.
- Unplug the white appliances that you wish to move.
Settling into your new home
- Get the first reading of your Electric meter and take a photo of the reading.
- Get the first reading of your Gas meter and take photos of the reading.
- Get the first reading of your Water meter and take a photo of the meter reading.
- Find where the Stopcock is to control your water supply.
- Find where the Fusebox is for your Electricity.
- Locate the boiler for your central heating.
- Locate the thermostat.
- Note down all your appliances at your property and download the instruction manuals for each of them online.
- Register with a new GP doctor near your new home.
- Change the locks of your new home.